In an attempt to keep Goodreads, well, good, the management has been making some changes to their policy. The changes involve age appropriate content, and keeping 18+ groups, just that 18+. The forums on Goodreads cover every genre and niche in reading, books and writing, and many readers spend time discussing books in those forums.
Goodreads is updating their guidelines and requesting moderators or forums/groups to verify age. Here’s more from their recent letter to group moderators.
We have therefore updated our guidelines for people creating and moderating groups on our site and you can view these here.
The two key points are:
• Anyone who wants to be a member of an adults only (18+) group, must have provided their birth date, and must be age 18 or older.
• Sexual role play is now not permitted in any group or any other part of the site.
• If you moderate an adults only (18+) group, any of your existing members who have not yet entered their birth date will be asked to do so before entering back into the group.
• Please note that members can opt to keep their birth date private (not visible on their profile).
• If any of your members are age 17 and younger, they will automatically have been removed from the group.
• Moving forward, if it comes to your attention that a member is actually 17 or younger, you must remove this member from the group immediately.
Thank you for helping our members enjoy book discussion that is appropriate to their age level.
This hopefully will benefit all readers of all age levels.